Welcome to Volusia County Take Stock In Children!Take Stock in Children offers its students college tuition scholarships, caring volunteer mentors, and hope for a better life. FUTURES/Take Stock in Children raises funds for these student scholarships through individual, community, civic and private donations and all contributions are matched 100% with dollars from the Florida Prepaid Scholarship Program. Students selected into the program must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA throughout high school, attend required events, meet with a mentor at school for 30 minutes weekly, and remain crime, drug and alcohol free.
Take Stock in Children has a proven state-wide record with assisting ambitious, goal oriented students to graduate from high school, attend college, and become productive citizens in our community.
In Volusia County, our students are nominated by their Guidance Counselor while in the 8th grade. If selected, the students attend a contract signing ceremony pledging to stay drug and crime free, maintain a 3.0 GPA and meet with a mentor weekly throughout their high school years.
Volunteer - Be A MentorOur Mentors are caring adult volunteers who meet with students at their school to offer encouragement, motivation and serve as positive role models. We are always in need of mentors for our expanding program.
If you would like to mentor a student, please complete the online application or request one from our office. The STEPS to become a Take Stock in Children Mentor are listed below:
1. Complete a TSIC application as well as a Volusia County Schools VIPS form (Volunteers in Public Schools). Be sure to include the name of the high school you wish to mentor at and check "Youth Motivator" on the VIPS form.
2. Once the mentor applications are received, your information will be sent to the VCS (VIPS) office for processing and to schedule a mentor training session.
3. Schedule and attend a required two-hour Mentor Training session, which is offered once monthly from 3-5 p.m. at Volusia County Schools Facilities Building located at 3750 Olson Drive, Daytona Beach, FL 32124 (See "Mentor Training Schedule" below to see dates offered and directions).
4. After you receive background clearance and a student match confirmation from the TSIC office, you are free to contact the school's Mentor Coordinator to arrange meetings with your student. (See TSIC school contacts/Mentor Coordinator names and contact information).
5. Exchange contact information with your student and arrange a day and time for ongoing meetings at school. Keep track of your meetings and time spent for reporting and statistical purposes (See Mentor Contact Log).
Take Stock in Children Staff
Phone: 386-255-6475 ext. 50730
Jeanna Butler, Student Advocate (left) Sheila Rees, Mentor Coordinator (right)
Phone: 386-255-6475 ext. 50729 Phone: 386-255-6475 ext. 50724
Email: email@example.com Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Take Stock in Children Leadership Council 2012-2013
Judy Davidson - Circuit Judge
Alice Fogle - Attorney,Retired
Paula Gregory - Weston & Gregory, PA
Jeff Hoffer - State Farm Agent
Brent Jaffe - Autotrader, Advertising Consultant
Joel Moses - Iowa State University Professor, Retired
Ron Pagano - Principal, Taylor Middle-High School
Cynthia Ramirez - Commercial Real Estate Executive, Florida Capital Bank
Marcella Rohling - Volusia County School Teacher, Retired
Kelly Ferguson - FUTURES Director
Sheila Rees - TSIC Mentor Coordinator
Jeanna Butler - Student Advocate
Mentor Training ScheduleMentor Training (for volunteers - attend only once)
Description: Mentor volunteers need attend only one date and time. Volunteers receive orientation to the Youth Motivator Program and basic training in mentoring. This training and a background clearance is required of all mentor volunteers prior to placement with a student as a mentor. Training may also be available through individual schools' Mentor Coordinators.
2012-2013 Mentor Training Schedule:
Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 3:00-5:00 p.m. @ Olson Facility Bid Conference Room
Monday, January 14, 2013 - 3:00-5:00 p.m. @ Olson Facility Bid Conference Room
Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 3:00-5:00 p.m. @ Olson Facility Bid Conference Room
Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 3:00-5:00 p.m. @ Olson Facility Bid Conference Room
Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 3:00-5:00 p.m. @ Olson Facility Bid Conference Room
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 3:00-5:00 p.m. @ Olson Facility Bid Conference Room
Directions to: 3750 Olson Dr., Daytona Beach
From DeLand: Proceed east on US92 (ISB) to Indian Lake Road. Turn left and proceed to
Olson Drive. Turn right to facility with school bell on left.
From Daytona: Proceed west on US92 (ISB) to Indian Lake Road. turn left and proceed to
Olson Drive. Turn right to facility with school bell on left.To apply as a mentor, please click on the links below, then print and complete or save to your computer and complete in order to submit via U.S. Mail, email or fax.
If you should have any questions about being a mentor, please contact:
| ||Volunteer Mentor Application.doc |
Sheila Rees, Mentor Coordinator
Phone: 386-255-6475 ext. 50724
Take Stock In Children NEWS
TSIC student Jonathan Montes de Oca was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant in the Police Explorer Program with the Port Orange Police Department. He was also issued seven Law Enforcement Exploring Proficiency Awards:
1. Tenure - Awarded for completing at least one year of satisfactory service to the post.
2. Law Enforcement Training - Recognizes the accumulation of 60 hours of training.
3. Crime Prevention - Recognizes 8 hours of crime prevention instruction in addition to participation in at least 3 crime prevention efforts.
4. Emergency Preparedness - Certifies training in advanced first aid & CPR.
5. Community Service - Acknowledges 100 hours of community service through the explorer post.
6. Law Enforcement Service - Acknowledges an accumulation of 100 hours of service to the department in areas such as records, communications, equipment, and the volunteer department.
f7. Drug Abuse Prevention - Acknowledges proficiency in drug abuse prevention training and services.
"I have gained an exorbitant amount of guidance, training, and instruction from the men and women of the Port Orange Police Department. Having the ability to pass these experience on to my peers through leadership is an experience like none other. These times will stick with me forever."
Port Orange Lions Club donates $500 to Take Stock in Children
The Lions Club is the largest service organization in the world and is found in more than 200 countries. Their main mission is to help those with sight and hearing needs. They also use the money earned through their fundraisers to support their community, thus helping young citizens find a pathway to success via higher education opportunities! The club also participates in the mentoring aspect of the TSIC program which benefits both the student and the mentor.
2013 Graduates and New TSIC Students
For the 2013-2014 school year, 11 new freshmen students at various high schools will begin their 4 year TSIC journey. These students, if they maintain a 3.0 GPA, stay drug and crime free and meet with a mentor at school weekly, will each receive a Florida Prepaid 4 year college tuition scholarship upon their high school graduation, to be used at a Florida college or university. The newly selected students are:
Cody Carrier - Ormond Beach Middle School
Kevin Olson - Hinson Middle School
Emily Romans - River Springs Middle School
Kamyl Alicea - River Springs Middle School
Ester Grealish - Creekside Middle School
Gradce Lloyd - Hinson Middle School
Emily Johnson - Heritage Middle School
Samoya Calvin - Campbell Middle School
Melinda Jefferies - Campbell Middle School
Zaria Young - Holly Hill Middle School
Kristin Waters - Campbell Middle School
Each student will sign a contract at an annual ceremony at Daytona International Speedway on May 18th and meet their mentor.
Take Stock In Children in Volusia will be graduating 16 senior students this year. these student have been working on their academics and meeting with a mentor for the past four years in hopes to receive a 4 year Florida Prepaid scholarship. The senior students are:
Brianna Alvoid - Atlantic High School
Olivia Clavelo - Mainland High School
Rachel DeGolier - Mainland High School
Sara Knollinger - New Smyrna Beach High School
Bionna Simpkins - New Smyrna Beach High School
Stephanine Weiland - New Smyrna Beach High School
Arthur Heinrichson - Spruce Creek High School
Dwaine Johnson - Spruce Creek High School
James Carter, II - DeLand High School
Karine Delacruz - Deltona High School
Evan Controneo - University High School
Grecia Delgado - Taylor High School
Jesica Juarez - Taylor High School
Patrick Ball - DeLand High School
Jon Montes De Oca - Spruce Creek High School
"2012 Take Stock in Children Mentor of the Year"
Congratulations Tony Tussing!