If you would like to mentor a student, please complete the online application or request one from our office. The steps to become a Take Stock in Children Mentor are listed below:
1. Complete a TSIC application as well as a Volusia County Schools VIPS (Volunteers in Public Schools) form. Be sure to include the name of the high school you wish to mentor at and check "Youth Motivator" on the VIPS form.
2. Once the mentor applications are received, your information will be sent to the Volusia County Schools VIPS office for processing and to schedule a mentor training session.
3. Schedule and attend a required two-hour mentor training session which is offered once monthly from 3 to 5 p.m. at the Volusia County Schools Facilities Building, 3750 Olson DR Daytona Beach, FL 32124 (See Mentor Training Schedule below to see dates offered and directions)
4. After you receive background clearance and a student match confirmation from the TSIC office, you are free to contact the school's Mentor Coordinator to arrange a meeting with your student. (See TSIC school contacts/mentor coordinator names and contact information).
5. Exchange contact information with your student and arrange a day and time for ongoing meetings on the school campus. Keep track of your meetings and time spent for report and statistical purposes (see mentor contact log).
Mentor Training Schedule
Mentor Training (for volunteers - attend only once)
Description: Mentor volunteers need attend only one date and time. Volunteers receive orientation to the Youth Motivator Program and basic training in mentoring. This training and a background clearance is required of all mentor volunteers prior to placement with a student as a mentor. Training may also be available through individual schools' Mentor Coordinators.
2016-2017 Mentor Training Schedule:
Monday, August 22nd 3-5 p.m.@ Olson Facility Bid Conference Room
Monday, September 12th 3-5 p.m. @ Olson Facility Bid Conference Room
Monday, October 10th 3-5 p.m.@ Olson Facility Bid Conference Room
Monday, November 14th 3-5 p.m. @ Olson Facility Bid Conference Room
Directions to: 3750 Olson DR, Daytona Beach, FL
From DeLand: Proceed east on U.S. 92 (International Speedway Boulevard) to Indian Lake Road. Turn left and proceed to Olson Drive. Turn right on Olson Drive and left into the general parking lot for the Facilities Building (look for the building with the school bell).
From Daytona: Proceed west on U.S. 92 (International Speedway Boulevard) to Indian Lake Road. Turn right onto Indian Lake Road and proceed to Olson Drive. Turn right on Olson Drive and left into the general parking lot for the Facilities Building (look for the building with the school bell).To apply as a mentor, please click on the links below, then print and complete or save to your computer and complete in order to submit via U.S. Mail, email or fax.If you should have any questions about being a mentor, please contact:
Sheila Rees, TSIC Program Coordinator
Phone: 386-255-6475 ext. 50724